Drew K. Allen (B.A. (Econ.), LL.B., B.C.L.) was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1997 and has guided businesses, and their leaders, for almost 20 years through numerous commercial transactions. Drew has advised on both domestic and international transactions while practising at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (New York), Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg (Toronto), Stikeman Elliott (Toronto), Royal Bank of Canada's global M&A legal group (Toronto) and Macleod Dixon LLP (Toronto), now Norton Rose Fulbright LLP.
As a principal corporate partner of Allen & Co. LLP, Drew has been involved in a wide variety of industries, including renewables (esp. rooftop solar energy), technology, mining, manufacturing and consulting. He also advises on buying and selling businesses and structures business start-ups (including restaurant businesses), joint ventures (including with First Nations/aboriginal groups) and shareholder arrangements.
Drew attended McGill University, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (Honours Economics) (1990), a Bachelor of Common Law (LL.B.) and Bachelor of Civil Law ( BCL) (1995) (with Distinction). Drew’s outside interests include spending time with his three children, cycling, skiing and golf. Recent new interests include taking up classical flute performance after a 30-year hiatus and attempting to bring a 1968 Greavette Clipper 21 foot mahogany runabout back to life.
Professional Associations & Volunteer Work
- Law Society of Upper Canada (since 1997)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA)
- Canadian Venture Capital Association (CVCA)
Recent Representative Transactions
- 2017 - sale of Aroma Espresso Bar franchise in Toronto
- 2017 - acquisition of Basler fashion boutiques in Toronto and Montreal
- 2016 - establishment of shareholders' agreement for KFC franchisee group in Ontario
- 2016 - establishment of Canadian distribution entity for international fitness equipment maker Redcord
- 2016 - establishment of new Toronto restaurant "Lake Inez"
- 2016 - sale of 18 rooftop solar facilities to affiliate of Skyline REIT
- 2015 - negotiation of acquisition of Toronto restaurant assets for new restaurant venture
- 2015 - establishment of Canadian operations of a US-based sports clothing manufacturer
- 2015 - negotiation of Toronto coffee shop investment
- 2015 - commercial contract negotiation acting for Ontario solar panel frame manufacturer
- 2015 - complete private share sale and related shareholders agreement
- 2015-16 - assisting major Canadian private hardware corporation in re-structuring shareholder agreement
- 2013-current - establishment of Canadian operations of US-based equipment leasing organization
- 2011 - establishment of new Toronto restaurant "The Wren"
- 2011-2016 - advising solar energy developer with business structuring, Ontario FIT Contract applications, aboriginal partner negotiations and agreements, executing rooftop solar leases in Ontario, shareholder investment, sale of 30+ solar facility sites to an Ontario-based electrical utility for $50-60M, employment and other matters
Phone: 416-977-6724 ext. 112